As a cancer survivor, you are, no doubt, relieved to finish active treatment. You may be uncertain about what will come next, and are beginning to realize there is a lot more to healing from cancer than completing the medical treatments.
After radiation treatment you will have an opportunity to schedule a private appointment with our nurse practitioner who is experienced in cancer survivorship. She will be aware of your particular cancer journey and will assess your concerns and any side effects you may be experiencing. We’re here to:
- Help you develop strategies to manage any issues you are having
- Provide you with a personalized cancer treatment summary and a survivorship care plan for your records and your physicians
- Discuss late effects of treatment
- Discuss dealing with the possibility of cancer recurrence
- Review recommendations for lifestyle changes to promote health
- Help you identify when to call a doctor
- Share various resources
- Schedule time with our on-site dietitian
Like all of the staff at our centers, our nurses are dedicated to providing you with state-of-the-art medical treatment in an atmosphere of compassion and care.
What to bring to your appointment
Here are a few tips on how to get the most from your visit:
- Write down everything you want to discuss before your appointment. You may also want to keep a diary to record the date and time of any symptoms you have, treatments you used, and whether or not they were helpful. All this will help you make sure you cover all your questions and concerns.
- Ask a friend or relative to come with you. They can act as a second set of ears and help you understand anything that isn’t clear.
- Talk about your feelings. It is common for cancer survivors to feel anxious, fearful, or depressed. You will feel better if you talk about these issues.
My Life Today/ Cancer Survivor Stories